Saturday, February 4, 2012

Second Week of Whole Foods

Wow! I have gone 8 full days without sugar or any processed food. I feel so great, but I'll admit...I spend a LOT of time in the kitchen. My go-to food after my hour commute home is homemade potato chips or homemade steak fries. The first thing I do when I get home is spend just under 30 minutes getting this snack around. After that and sometimes while it's still in the oven, hubs and I start making dinner. In addition to eating healthier, I've been getting better at working out regularly. I went to my bootcamp class Thursday, walked 4 miles with a friend on Friday, and went to another bootcamp class this morning. Tomorrow, I will play league volleyball.

I'm starting my second week eating whole foods, and I decided to spend  today meal-planning, shopping, and cooking to get myself out of the kitchen a little more. This week, it looks like I will be eating -
Frittata for breakfasts
Cabbage rolls for lunches
Oranges, dried strawberries, and sweet potato fries for snacks
Dinners -
Tonight and Sunday: Egg-fried rice
Monday: knock-off PF Changs lettuce wraps
Tuesday: Sauteed green peppers, potatoes, and onions
Wednesday: Leftovers (that's pretty typical on Wednesdays)
Thursday: Salmon and green beans
Friday: Date night

I have noticed an increase in our grocery bill. We should still be able to stay within what we budgeted, but I think I'm going to be extra cautious to make sure food is eaten before it spoils. I wish I had the energy to coupon better, but just cooking so much is new for me. I'm not ready to add another time-consuming activity yet.

I spent about 3 hours in the kitchen. Some changes I made to the recipes below-
Cabbage Rolls - quinoa instead of groats
Fried Rice - brown rice instead of white rice, Bragg's instead of soy sauce

CABBAGE ROLLS

Stuffed cabbage
For 4 servings:
1/2-1 pound of organic lean minced Beef or Lamb
1/2 cup buckwheat groats
1 organic egg
1 head of cabbage
2 medium onions
4 garlic cloves
4 tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt
Tear 6-8 leaves off the cabbage and cook in boiling water or steam until wilted enough to be flexible. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl mix the meat, uncooked brown rice, 1 chopped onion, egg, 2 minced garlic cloves and salt. Roll the meat and rice mixture in the cabbage leaves and put them in baking dish. For the tomato sauce, sauté the other onion, the garlic and the chopped tomatoes in a wide based pan.
Place the stuffed cabbage leaves in a baking dish, cover with the tomato sauce, add 1 cup of water and cover. Bake in the oven 350 degrees for 1 hour. 


Fried Rice                                                                                             

3 cups cooked white rice
3 tbs sesame oil
1 cup frozen peas and carrots (thawed)
1 small onion, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup soy sauce

      On medium high heat, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok.  Add the peas/carrots mix, onion and garlic. Stir fry until tender. Lower the heat to medium low and push the mixture off to one side, then pour your eggs on the other side of skillet and stir fry until scrambled. Now add the rice and soy sauce and blend all together well. Stir fry until thoroughly heated!   **You could really play around with this rice too! Try adding some diced ham, or green onion :) Yum!  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment