Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Recipe Trial - "Vegetarian" Tacos

Last night, I tried to make vegetarian tacos based off of this recipe
http://www.jinalauer.com/2012/01/recipe-experiment-taco-lettuce-wraps.html

Well, I didn't follow it exactly because I am a firm believer that recipes are there to suggest complimentary ingredients not to constrict the cooking experience with a bunch of rules that must be followed. Also, I didn't really read the recipe close enough to realize it was vegetarian until I was already cooking hamburger. So here's what I used and did:

My Ingredients:
1 onion, 1 potato, 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, 1 can of black beans, 3/4 c of corn, 1 tomato, some hamburger (this would be optional of course), romaine lettuce, olive oil

My Taco Seasonings:
Lots of chili powder and heavy dashes of curry, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, a squirt of Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids

What would be helpful to do before you start cooking:
Cut up the onion and dice the potato, tomato, and peppers
Boil the potato chunks for 7ish minutes (you want them soft)
Rinse the lettuce leaves

Now to cook:
Cook the hamburger (if you are using it) with the seasonings, set aside when it's done

In a separate pan, cook the onion chunks with some olive oil until they begin to brown
Add the potatoes and seasonings, cook for a few minutes
Add the peppers, cook a few minutes to soften (the original recipe called for these to be raw but I like my veggies a little softer)
Add the corn and black beans, cook a few minutes so they get the taste of everything and warm up

At this point, spoon the cooked veggies (and hamburger if you want) into a romaine leaf, top with tomato

Here's the problem:
Romaine leaves do not make good taco shells. The next time I do this I'm going to use Boston lettuce or green leaf lettuce. My hands, wrists, and face were covered in food, so I ended up dumping the contents onto the plate, tearing up the lettuce, and converting the whole thing into a taco salad. It still tasted phenomenal!

Bonus:
I put the extra (which was quite a bit) into 5 2-cup containers with diced tomato on top of each. I cut up the rest of the romaine lettuce. I will be eating delicious and very filling taco salad the rest of this week.


Today is the last day of the month so it's time for a new budget and time to see how well we followed this month's budget. I'll be crunching numbers tonight after bootcamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment